Joint replacement and substitution
Guided by our long-term goals of addressing the biological failure of joint replacements, we have uniquely positioned ourselves to study all aspects of joint replacement function and performance, in terms of wear, lubrication, debris and functional biocompatibility.
Recent achievements include:
- Lubrication analysis for hard bearings and surface replacement hips
- Analysis of wear debris down to 5 nm in size
- Determination of the osteolytic potential of crosslinked polyethylene wear debris in the hip and knee
- Development of novel low wearing ceramic on metal bearings
- Surface engineering solutions for metal on metal hips and wear reduction with rotating platform mobile bearing knees.